By Jane Curran
Everyone loves a fishcake, and they're even better when you make them yourself. Salmon; one of the nation's favourite fishes is loved for its tenderness, but be careful not to allow its already delicate consistency to become paste in this recipe.
Perfect as a main dish with lemon mayonnaise and chips on the side, these salmon fishcakes also work as healthy additions to lunchboxes or side dishes to a more moist main meal. Children are often known for not being fans of fish, but fish cakes are often an exception to this 'rule'. Making them with salmon acts as a gateway to getting kids to eat salmon and other types of fish on their own (i.e not surrounded by breadcrumbs as in fishcakes and fish fingers).
Because salmon is a meaty fish, it is common to pair it with a red wine such as Pinot Noir, or a Gamay. If you prefer white wine, try a dry Pinot Gris with these salmon fishcakes. If you're aiming for visual, as well as taste, excellence, chop up a lemon, and position the segments around the fishcakes on a board or large serving plate, with the chips in a milk jug, and mayonnaise in a small, attractive, sauce bowl.
HOW TO MAKE SALMON FISHCAKES:
1. Heat the oven to 180 fan, gas 6. Put the salmon into a food processor and pulse to chop but don’t let it become a paste. Otherwise, you can chop the salmon by hand but it will take longer, of course.
2. Mix together the chopped salmon, spring onions, egg and mustard seeds. Season to taste. Shape into around 6 ﬁshcakes then coat with the breadcrumbs. Put on a lined baking tray, pop in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with lemon mayonnaise and French fries, with a crunchy salad on the side.
- 500g skinless salmon ﬁllet
- 5 spring onions, ﬁnely chopped
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 1tbsp black mustard seeds
- 150g breadcrumbs
- French fries, lemon mayonnaise and salad, to serve
Has lockdown changed your relationship with alcohol? Study finds 10 different 'drinking personalities’
The common pandemic drinking personality types revealed
By Emma Shacklock •
This is what Dr. Hilary wants you to remember if you want to live to 100
Dr. Hilary has revealed a golden rule to follow if you want to live to 100
By Emma Dooney •
Princess Diana's shocking insight into Prince Harry's life revealed
‘Harry’s full of energy but he flips from one thing to another and then loses interest'.
By Robyn Morris •