- for the topping
- 85g (3½oz) plain flour
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g (2oz) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 50g (2oz) light brown sugar
- 50g (2oz) walnuts, finely chopped
- for the cake
- 2tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125g (4½oz) plain flour
- 125g (4½oz) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 50g (2oz) maple syrup
- 200g (7oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 100ml (4fl oz) whole milk
- 125g (4½oz) rolled oats
- 500g (1lb 2oz) pears, peeled, cored then halved and thinly sliced
- you will need
- a 23x30x4cm (9x11¾x1½in) rectangular tin, greased and the base and sides lined with baking parchment
Heat the oven to 150C, 130C fan, 300F, gas 2. For the topping, place the flour and cinnamon a medium bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips. Stir in the sugar, walnuts and a pinch of salt, and set aside.
For the cake, sift the ginger, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and flour into a large bowl. In a large saucepan, melt the butter, maple syrup and sugar over a medium heat, then leave to cool. In a jug, beat together the eggs and milk.
Mix the oats into the flour and spices, add the sugar and butter mixture, and mix well. Pour in the milk and eggs, and stir until smooth. Pour into the prepared tin and top evenly with the pear slices. Bake for 15 minutes then remove from the oven and sprinkle over the topping. Bake for a further 25 minutes. Turn up the oven temperature to 180C, 160C fan, 350F, gas 4, and cook for another 10 minutes. Leave in the tin on a wire rack to cool.
Top Tip for making Pear and Ginger Tray Bake
COOK'S NOTE The tray bake will keep for 3 days in an airtight container.