By Jane Curran
Mushroom paté is a rich and indulgent veggie starter. We’ve used three different mushrooms in our mushroom paté recipe, which gives it great depth of flavour. This flavour packed paté is best served with either melba toast or crostini as either a dinner party or Christmas starter, or at a buffet. This irresistible mushroom paté can be prepared in advance, saving you time on the day. Porcini mushrooms have a strong, nutty flavour and are popular in Italian cuisine. To make more of this fantastic ingredient, try the mushrooms mixed into a butter, served on steak, or include in a pasta sauce.
HOW TO MAKE MUSHROOM PATÉ
- Soak the porcini in boiling water until softened, about 20 mins, then strain through a sieve.
- Melt a knob of butter in a pan and sauté the porcini for a few minutes, then set aside. Put the shallots and garlic in the same pan and cook until softened. Set aside.
- Now sauté the remaining mushrooms in batches, adding butter when needed until they are cooked. Put into a bowl and add all the remaining ingredients. Whizz in a processor with seasoning. Put into a pâté dish. Melt the 125g butter and pour over the top, leaving the milky solids in the pan. Arrange the herbs in the butter. Chill in the fridge; serve with toasts or crostini.
- 30g dried porcini mushrooms
- 50g butter, plus around 125g for the top of the pâté
- 3 echalion shallots, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 450g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 300g white closed cap mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 bunches tarragon, finely chopped
- 120g cream cheese
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- ½tsp smoked paprika
- bay leaves and thyme
Princess Anne told to ‘de-clutter’ her home after she shares rare look inside her home
Princess Anne told to ‘de-clutter’ her home after she shares rare view with fans
By Selina Maycock •
How you drink your coffee affects your skin, say dermatologists
Could your coffee be having a negative effect on your skin?
By Fiona Embleton •
Why Prince William's birthday this year will mark such an important milestone this year - and it affects us all
Prince William's birthday this year is likely to see the country celebrating like never before
By Emma Dooney •