- 200g (7oz) dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in plenty of cold water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2.5cm (1in) fresh root ginger, peeled and cut into two thick slices
- ½tsp turmeric
- good pinch saffron
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 250g (9oz) vine tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
Drain the chickpeas and rinse with cold water. Place in a large saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to a boil, skim off the foam and turn the heat to a gentle simmer. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, saffron and cayenne. Do not add any salt at this stage as it can toughen the skins of the chickpeas. Cook gently for 45 minutes, making sure the chickpeas are just submerged in water, topping up if necessary.
Add the tomatoes and continue to simmer for a further 15 to 30 minutes or until the chickpeas are soft and the liquid slightly reduced. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, remove the ginger slices and cinnamon stick, and stir through the coriander.