For a twist on a classic Easter recipe, give these gorgeous hot cross buns a go this year and you'll not be disappointed. They make a wonderful Easter cake alternative and really switch up your usual hot cross buns.
HOW TO MAKE MINI CHOCOLATE AND ORANGE HOT CROSS BUNS
- Place the yeast in a bowl and mix with 1 tbsp caster sugar. Pour over 4 tbsp warm milk and leave to foam for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl add the flour, 125g (4½oz) sugar, salt, spices, zest and butter and using the tips of your finger rub together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir through the dried fruit and chocolate chips.
- Pour in the yeast mixture, juice of 1 orange and most of the remaining milk. Mix to a sticky dough adding more milk if you need it. Knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place on a baking sheet and cover with lightly oiled cling film. Leave in a warm place for 1- 2 hours to rise or until doubled in size.
- Divide into 24 equal balls and place in rows almost touching each other on a large baking tray. Recover with the greased cling film and leave for another hour to double in size again.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/375F/Gas 5. Brush the egg yolk mixture over the buns. Mix the flour with 1 tbsp melted butter and spoon into a piping bag with plain nozzle. Pipe a cross on each bun and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Heat the remaining 50g (2oz) sugar with the juice of half an orange until dissolved. Brush over the buns and allow to cool.
- 1 x 7g sachet fast action dried yeast
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 250ml (9fl oz) semi skimmed milk, warm
- 600g (1lb 5oz) strong white bread flour
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 oranges, zest & juice
- 75g (3oz) unsalted butter, plus 1 tbsp melted
- 125g (4½oz) mixed dried fruit
- 100g (4oz) chocolate chips
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with 1 tbsp milk
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
Top Tip for making Mini Chocolate And Orange Hot Cross Buns
If you have any of these leftover they would make a yummy hot cross bun bread and butter pudding!
Woman & Home's Vanity Edit: Our favorite launches and products this week
We highlight the latest and greatest beauty heroes on the market, from ultra-thin eyeliners to magnetic mascaras. Here's what's currently in trend.
By Dominique McIntee •
Demi Lovato shares post calling out "transphobic" gender reveal parties
The star reposted the series of nine posts to her Instagram feed earlier this week
By Lucy Abbersteen •
Prince Harry reveals surprising opinion of Netflix show 'The Crown'
The prince has just been interviewed by James Corden for The Late Late Show
By Lucy Abbersteen •