Kedgeree is a delicious way to get a lot of flavour from a few ingredients. If you keep a little smoked haddock in your freezer along with some peas you can whip this up purely from other store cupboard staples. The combination of heady curry spices, aromatic coriander, sweet veggies and flaky, smoked fish is delicious and thanks to this kedgeree being cooked in just one pot it's also low maintenance in the washing up department - perfect for midweeks!
Studies have shown that the best way to cook rice is to soak it overnight, which helps to reduce levels of toxins imparted by the growing soil by up to 80 per cent. We've used this simple method for our delicious kedgeree which also happens to help give it a fluffy finish and the perfect bite.
HOW TO MAKE KEDGEREE
- If you have time soak your rice in a jug overnight. Simply cover in cold water and leave until you're ready to cook it.
- When you're ready to make your kedgeree, place the haddock in a pan over a gentle heat with the chilli flakes and milk. Simmer for 4 minutes then remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onions for 5 minutes until soft. Stir through the rice (drain it if you've soaked it over night), curry powder, cardamon, turmeric and cinnamon.
- Remove the fish from the poaching liquid and set aside. Pour the milk over the rice along with the stock and stir well to combine. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Meanwhile place the eggs in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil and cook for 6 minutes. Peel the eggs and quarter them.
- Flake the fish and gently stir through the rice with the peas, coriander and eggs. Continue to heat for 2-3 minutes until warmed through then squeeze over the lime to serve.
- 500g (1lb 2oz) undyed smoked haddock
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 400ml (14fl oz) semi skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 300g (10oz) basmati rice
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 3 cardamon pods, split
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in 2
- 250ml (9fl oz) vegetable stock
- 3 medium eggs
- 175g (6oz) frozen peas
- handful of coriander leaves
- lime wedges, to serve
Top Tip for making Kedgeree
Swap the haddock for salmon fillets.
Meghan Markle has decided not to have a baby shower for this reason
No lavish celebrations this time around
By Danielle Valente •
Alex Rodriguez speaks out for the first time since J.Lo and Ben Affleck reunion
News of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck has spread, and now Alex Rodriguez is finally saying something
By Rylee Johnston •
Celebrity-favorite brand Rag & Bone is having a huge secret sale right now
Saks Off 5th is having a secret sale on Rag & Bone, a celebrity-favorite of Katie Holmes, Jennifer Anniston, and Jennifer Garner
By Rylee Johnston •