HOW TO MAKE JAMES MARTIN'S SPICED DUCK BREAST WITH UMEBOSHI SAUCE AND STEAMED BOK CHOI
Taken from More Home Comforts by James Martin (Quadrille £20) Photography: Peter Cassidy
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas 6.
- Mix the curry powder, ground ginger, five-spice and sansho pepper together in a bowl, then sprinkle half the mixture over the skin and flesh of the duck breasts.
- Place the duck skin-side down in a cold non-stick frying pan and set over a high heat for 3-4 minutes until the fat renders out. Turn the duck over, then drizzle 2tbsp honey over the skin and place in the oven for 8-10 minutes. When the duck is cooked, remove from the pan and leave on a plate for 8-10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Lay the bok choi in a steamer set over a pan of simmering water. Add the ginger, garlic, chilli and red onion, then cover and steam for 5-6 minutes.
- Put the plums into a small blender with 1tsp of the remaining spice mix and the remaining 2tbsp honey. Blitz to a fine purée, then pour into a pan and warm through, adding the resting juices from the duck – taste to see if more honey is needed.
- Lay the steamed veg on a plate, carve the duck into thick slices and lay alongside, and finish with a dollop of the umeboshi sauce.
- 1tsp curry powder
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp five-spice powder
- 2tsp sansho pepper
- 4 x 175g duck breasts
- 4tbsp clear honey
- 1 bok choi, root removed and leaves separated
- 3cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 200g umeboshi plums, stoned
Top Tip for making James Martin's Spiced Duck Breast With Umeboshi Sauce and Steamed Bok Choi
You can find umeboshi plums online and can also be bought in some larger supermarkets
Shoppers say these high-waisted leggings are the softest they've ever owned — and they're now 45% off on Amazon
With over 50,000 reviews, these fan-favorite leggings tout a laundry list of bragging rights — here's why they belong in your closet
By Dominique McIntee •
Michelle Obama’s 'Becoming' has been re-released for a younger audience
Michelle Obama’s 'Becoming' has been re-released with a new lovely message for her younger audience
By Laura Harman •
This Marks & Spencer ribbed loungewear set has shoppers obsessed with its soft and cosy fabric
This M&S cosy loungewear set is perfect for eating chocolate eggs in comfort...
By Selina Maycock •