By Woman and Home published
HOW TO MAKE JAMES MARTIN'S SPICED DUCK BREAST WITH UMEBOSHI SAUCE AND STEAMED BOK CHOI
Taken from More Home Comforts by James Martin (Quadrille £20) Photography: Peter Cassidy
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas 6.
- Mix the curry powder, ground ginger, five-spice and sansho pepper together in a bowl, then sprinkle half the mixture over the skin and flesh of the duck breasts.
- Place the duck skin-side down in a cold non-stick frying pan and set over a high heat for 3-4 minutes until the fat renders out. Turn the duck over, then drizzle 2tbsp honey over the skin and place in the oven for 8-10 minutes. When the duck is cooked, remove from the pan and leave on a plate for 8-10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Lay the bok choi in a steamer set over a pan of simmering water. Add the ginger, garlic, chilli and red onion, then cover and steam for 5-6 minutes.
- Put the plums into a small blender with 1tsp of the remaining spice mix and the remaining 2tbsp honey. Blitz to a fine purée, then pour into a pan and warm through, adding the resting juices from the duck – taste to see if more honey is needed.
- Lay the steamed veg on a plate, carve the duck into thick slices and lay alongside, and finish with a dollop of the umeboshi sauce.
- 1tsp curry powder
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp five-spice powder
- 2tsp sansho pepper
- 4 x 175g duck breasts
- 4tbsp clear honey
- 1 bok choi, root removed and leaves separated
- 3cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 200g umeboshi plums, stoned
Top Tip for making James Martin's Spiced Duck Breast With Umeboshi Sauce and Steamed Bok Choi
You can find umeboshi plums online and can also be bought in some larger supermarkets
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Kate Hudson's new wallpaper is the stuff of dreams—it's time to redecorate!
Kate Hudson tagged wall covering company Arte in her latest Instagram post showing off her fabulous powder room
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
The best romantic movies to get your heart fluttering in 2022
This critic's picked the best romantic movies to get you through these dark winter nights
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle pay tribute to Princess Diana with new Delaware company
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have named their new publishing company after one of the late royal's favorite songs
By Emma Dooney • Published