By Jane Curran
For a spring dessert recipe that’s sure to impress, try this sweet and nutty tart this week and your guests will be extra impressed.
HOW TO MAKE FRESH NECTARINE AND ALMOND TART
Ready-ground almonds are easier to use, but the taste and texture are much better if you grind them yourself. Look out for Spanish Marcona almonds, which are rich and creamy. This tart is also delicious made with 400g (14oz) blueberries.
- 400g (14oz) all-butter shortcrust or sweet shortcrust pastry
- 200g (7oz) whole blanched almonds
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 125g (4½oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large, free-range eggs
- 400g (14oz) ripe nectarines, cut into eighths
You will need:
- 28cm (11in) fluted flan tin
- Line the flan tin with pastry, leaving an overlap. Chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4.
- Meanwhile, whizz the almonds in a food processor until they resemble coarse breadcrumbs. Then whizz the sugar and butter together. Add the almonds and eggs. You should have a thick paste.
- Line the pastry case with foil and baking beans. Bake until the edges are very lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes, then remove the foil and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes. Trim the overhanging pastry and discard.
- Add the almond filling and arrange the nectarines on top. Bake for 30 minutes until the filling is golden and the nectarines are shrivelled and juicy. Allow the tart to cool slightly in the tin before serving with clotted cream or ice cream. This is lovely the day after, when it will go slightly gooey.
Sarah Jessica Parker and JLo's favorite reusable face mask has sold out 14 times
Even better? You can currently snap up more than 20% off the usual price tag
By Lucy Abbersteen •
A look at Highgrove House, Prince of Charles and Duchess Camilla's stunning Cotswolds retreat
Everything you need to know about Highgrove House, the home of Charles and Camilla
By Laura Harman •
Is This Is Us ending with Season 6? Everything we know so far
Everything we know about the This Is Us Season 6 release date, news, spoilers and more
By Lucy Abbersteen •