- for the salad
- 100g (4oz) cubed pancetta
- 2tbsp hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 sharp green apple, sliced
- 2tbsp dried cherries, roughly chopped
- 150g (5oz) mixed baby salad leaves
- small bunch chives, chopped
- for the dressing
- 3tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½tsp sugar
In a sauté pan fry the pancetta until golden and crisp then remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper but do not clean out the pan.
Combine the pancetta, with the remaining salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Gently heat the used pan and add the balsamic and shallot to deglaze for 30 seconds. Stir in the oil and sugar then drizzle the warm dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
When in season, pheasant breasts are delicious in this salad; pan-fry in place of the pancetta for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.