Christmas ham is a real festive treat, and a recipe that's always popular with the whole family. This gorgeous Christmas ham recipe combines the signature flavours of gingerbread with marmalade to make a sweet, sticky and fragrant glaze.
How To Make A Christmas Ham
- 4.1kg (9lb) raw ham (smoked or unsmoked), off the bone
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery, roughly chopped
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- cloves, to stud
For your Christmas ham glaze
- 4tbsp marmalade
- ¼tsp allspice
- 1tsp ginger
- ½tsp mixed spice
- Rinse the ham well, then place in a deep saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then drain (this removes the scum), rinse again and return to the clean pan with the onion, carrot, celery, peppercorns and bay leaf. Cover with cold water once more, bring to the boil, then simmer very gently for 1 hour 40 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, 400 F, gas 6.
- Remove the ham from the cooking liquid and remove the top layer of skin, leaving the soft fat in place (keep the skin for crackling).
- Score diamonds into the fat and stud with cloves at the point of each diamond. Mix the ingredients for the Christmas ham gingerbread glaze and brush thickly over the ham. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling. Allow to cool slightly, then serve either warm or at room temperature.
- To make crackling, place the skin over an upturned cake tin or metal dish on top of a baking tray. This allows the trapped hot air inside the tin to cook the skin from underneath, so it crisps more easily. Sprinkle well with salt, then cook in an oven turned to its highest setting for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Break into pieces and serve with warm apple sauce as a delicious pre-dinner nibble.
Top Tip for making Christmas Ham With Gingerbread Spiced Glaze
This ham is delicious hot or cold and will keep for up to a week in the fridge, so is perfect for a back up snack during the busy festive period!
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Jersey royals with broad beans and ham
By Keiron George • Published
These petite cakes are made even prettier with bottlegreen raspberry cordial icing and a sprinkle of dried rose petals
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo
The subtle flavours in this frozen Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo loaf are perfect for a summer dinner al fresco
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Eton mess tart
We’ve turned a traditional British pudding into a gorgeous white chocolate tart. Summer puddings don’t get any better than this Eton Mess tart.
By Rosie Conroy • Published
Prince Harry's memoir has been signed off and will likely be published by Christmas
Ghostwriter JR Moehringer has reportedly finished the manuscript for Prince Harry's memoir, which has been 'signed off by lawyers'
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
Christmas TV specials 2021—our pick of the best shows to enjoy this Christmas
The best Christmas TV specials 2021 to enjoy on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Tesco Christmas advert (and 86% of Brits) say that nothing’s stopping Christmas this year
Tesco’s new Christmas advert celebrates the festive period after last year’s disappointment
By Jack Slater • Published