If you’re after a curry recipe that you can try a home that’s more tasty than a take away and makes for a great dinner party recipe, why not try this delicious chicken Massaman curry recipe this week? Using chicken thighs, which is a relatively inexpensive meat, and plenty of spice, you can get all the flavour at home.
Coconut cream and fish sauce help to create a really creamy sauce, while the ginger and curry paste create that classic Massaman spice.
This recipe makes enough curry to serve four people – so it’s great for feeding the whole family.
- 1tbsp oil
- massaman curry paste (use the quantity as instructed on the pack)
- 500g boned and skinned chicken thighs, evenly diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1cm strips
- 1 red onion, cut into 1cm strips
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 450ml coconut cream
- 1tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1tbsp palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 200g canned waterchestnuts, drained
- Thai basil, to serve
Heat the oil in a large sauté pan. Add the curry paste and fry, stirring all the time until it becomes fragrant and aromatic, around 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken, potatoes, pepper, onion and ginger and stir well, coating them completely in the paste. Cook for about 5 minutes before adding the coconut cream, fish sauce and sugar. Simmer gently on a low to medium heat for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken and potatoes are cooked through.
Just before serving, add the water chestnuts and Thai basil. Serve with rice.