By Jane Curran
If you’re after some really good minced beef recipes, which are of course the ultimate comfort food, give this delicious beef and mozzarella gratin a go. It’s full of tasty flavours thanks to the oregano, shallots and garlic and the meatballs come out super tender and tasty.
As minced beef recipes go, this one is one of the tastiest, for sure. The meatballs in this beef and mozzarella gratin are nestled within a delicious tangy red wine and tomato sauce, for the ultimate, decedant dish.
And there are plenty of ways to enjoy this beef and mozzarella recipes.
How to serve this minced beef recipe:
Of course, you can easily enjoy this beef and mozzarella gratin totally on its own, digging in with a fork, and a friend to share it with. Or, the dish would work equally brilliantly with a side of soft, crusty bread, to dip into the tomato sauce when the meatballs have been gobbled up.
Or, you could even boil up some spaghetti or penne pasta and enjoy it as a bigger dinner dish, if you want to bulk it out!
What’s more, it’s a really simple dish to make if you’re feeding a crowd. Ready in just 45 minutes, this comforting and warming dish feeds four – so it’s a great way to fill up the whole family with ease. One of the tastiest minced beef recipes, this is also a great option for a night in with the girls. Paired with a tasty glass of red wine, this would be the perfect sharing dinner.
If you're short on time and want to plan ahead, you can cook the meatballs and sauce a day ahead and leave covered in the fridge too. Simply bring to room temperature then finish with the cheese.
HOW TO MAKE BEEF AND MOZZARELLA GRATIN
For the meatballs:
- 500g beef steak mince
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 2tsp dried oregano
- 3tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 2tbsp milk
- 1-2tbsp seasoned four, to coat
For the sauce:
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200ml red wine
- 1tsp caster sugar
- tbsp tomato purée
For the topping
- 125g mozzarella, torn
- 30g Parmesan, grated
- For the meatballs, simply mix all the ingredients together and season. Using your hands, shape into golf ball-sized meatballs (you should have around 12). Toss the meatballs in the flour. Heat half the oil in a pan, brown the meatballs all over, remove and set aside.
- For the sauce, heat the remaining oil in an ovenproof dish or sauté pan and cook the onion and garlic until softened. Tip in the tomatoes and wine, stir in the sugar and tomato purée, bring to the boil then simmer until starting to thicken.
- Return the meatballs to the pan. Cook on a low heat until cooked through. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan and grill until golden and bubbling. Serve with buttered noodles and a green salad.
This viral TikTok hack will be a lifesaver when you're entertaining this spring
Once again, a TikTok hack swoops in to save the day
By Danielle Valente •
Prince Charles thanks royal fans for their condolences with rare childhood photo of him with Prince Philip
Prince Charles thanked royal supporters for reaching out after Prince Philip's death.
By Caitlin Elliott •
The Queen's childhood friend reveals touching details about the young 'Lilibeth' in never-before-published diaries
The journal entries of the Queen's childhood friend, Alathea Fitzlan Howard, have been published in The Windsor Diaries
By Emma Dooney •