- 1kg (2lb 4oz) baby new potatoes
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 180g (6¼oz) hot smoked haddock (try Waitrose), in chunks
- 8 cornichons (baby gherkins), chopped into chunky rounds
- 2tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- for the dressing
- 1 egg yolk
- juice ½ lemon
- ½tsp Dijon mustard
- 150ml (¼pt) olive oil
- 50g (2oz) Gruyère, finely grated
- 1tbsp capers, rinsed and roughly chopped
Cook potatoes for 15 minutes or until tender. To make the dressing, whisk the egg yolk, lemon juice and mustard. Slowly pour in the oil, whisking to a thick consistency. Add Gruyère, capers and black pepper.
Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the eggs and cook for 7 minutes. Drain and immediately run under cold water.
Pour the dressing over the drained potatoes and leave to cool. Mix together the potatoes and cornichons in a bowl. Peel and quarter the eggs and mix into the potato salad with the haddock and tarragon.
Top Tip for making Potato Salad with Haddock and Gruyère Dressing
You could poach cold smoked haddock and cool it before adding to the salad. Make the dressing the day before and store it in a container in the fridge.