Tiger Woods is 'awake and responsive' after having surgery for injuries following a horror car crash

The 15x gold major champion had to be "extricated from the wreck" by firefighters and paramedics

Tiger Woods looks on from the 18th hole during the final round of The Genesis Invitational golf tournament at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, CA on February 21, 2021
(Image credit: Icon Sportswire / Contributor Getty)

Tiger Woods is said to be 'awake and responsive' following surgery after he was badly injured in a car crash.

The professional golfer sustained serious leg injuries following the horror crash in Los Angeles.

Tiger, 45, is lucky to be alive after his car "crossed the center-divider to the point that it rested several hundred feet away" on the border of Rolling Hills Estates and Rancho Palos Verdes.

He suffered "open fractures affecting the tibia and fibula bones" in his lower right leg which had to be "stabilized by inserting a rod into the tibia". He also sustained injuries to his foot and ankle - with screws and pins inserted during surgery, according to his chief medical officer.

More from woman&home:

A sign for the Genesis Invitational golf tournament is seen on the door of the car that golf legend Tiger Woods was driving when seriously injured in a rollover accident on February 23, 2021 in Rolling Hills Estates, California. Rescuers used hydraulic rescue tools to extricate him from the car where he reportedly sustained major leg injuries. Law enforcement reports that there was no evidence of impairment. He was in town to participate in the tournament.

(Image credit: David McNew / Stringer Getty)

A statement published on Tiger's Twitter account added, 'He is currently awake, responsive and recovering in his hospital room. Thank you to wonderful doctors and hospital staff at Harbor UCLA, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, and the fire department. Your support and assistance has been outstanding.'

'There are no further updates at this time and we continue to thank you for your well-wishes and privacy for him and his family,' it concluded.

Meanwhile, Anish Mahajan, chief medical officer of the Harbor UCLA Medical Centre where Woods is being treated, said the open fractures were comminuted, meaning broken in more than two pieces.

He added, "Trauma to the muscle and soft tissue of the leg required the surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling."

Carlos Gonzalez, a deputy from the LA County Sheriff's Department, who was first on the scene of the accident at 07:18 local time said the golfer was "not able to stand under his own power" before being removed from the vehicle which had sustained major damage.

He said that the golfer was wearing his seatbelt and was "still calm and lucid" when he told him his name. "It's very fortunate that Mr. Woods was able to come out of this alive," he stressed.

Meanwhile, LA County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said that the positioning of the vehicle "indicates they were going at a relatively greater speed than normal".

Fans have been sending the star their well-wishes. One wrote, 'Wishing U Speedy Recovery Tiger. U in my thoughts and Prayers. This too shall come to pass and U will emerge from this a lot Stronger. All da Best.' Another put, 'We'd all like to see him play again at the highest level, but I'm pleased he's alive and responsive atm! Take it slowly Tiger and do everything the doctors and physios tell you to do.'

But concern over the star's future golfing career is growing. One fan added, 'If this is indeed the end of Tiger Woods as a golfer his fans (like me) who will mourn the end of a 26 year era can take solace in 2 things: We’ll never have to see him in total decline and he finished his final tournament, at Augusta, like a true champion.'

Selina Maycock

Selina is a Senior Entertainment Writer with more than 15 years of experience in newspapers and magazines. She has covered all things Entertainment for GoodtoKnow, Woman&Home and My Imperfect Life. Before joining Future Publishing, Selina graduated from the University of Sheffield in 2006 with a degree in Journalism. She is fully NCTJ and NCE qualified and has 100wpm shorthand.