By Mariana Cerqueira published
J. K. Rowling has offered to pay the salary of a Civil Service employee, after a tweet addressing the Dominic Cummings controversy went viral.
The tweet was shared on the official Civil Services account on Sunday evening, shortly after Prime Minister Boris Johnson defended Dominic Cummings’ trip to Durham during lockdown.
It read, ‘Arrogant and offensive. Can you imagine having to work with these truth twisters.’
It was online for just 10 minutes before it was taken down – but this was long enough for it to be widely shared among Twitter users.
Following the controversial tweet, the Civil Services shared another tweet, writing, ‘The post has been removed and we are investigating the matter.’
Many joked that the person who wrote the viral tweet was ‘following their instincts’, referecing the PM’s defence of Mr Cummings, who said he ‘followed the instincts of every father and every parent’ by travelling to his parents’ residence in County Durham to reportedly seek childcare.
The Harry Potter author also proved to be a fan of the tweet and asked to be informed of the identity of the employee, as she wants to pay them a year’s salary.
‘When you find out who it was, let us know. I want to give them a year’s salary’, she said.
The writer has been very vocal about the controversy on social media, following the government’s defence of their advisor’s actions.
Responding to a tweet from the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak, who said Mr Cummings’ actions were ‘justifiable and reasonable’, Rowling wrote, ‘People have missed funerals of loved ones because of lockdown. Many have had to look after their own young children while ill. One of the architects of the rules keeping those people housebound drove across the UK, knowing he had the virus. Indefensible hypocrisy and selfishness.’
Controversy around Mr Cummings' actions comes after countless people in the UK were forced to stay away from their families - which included not vising elderly relatives at care homes and missing funerals and goodbyes to loved ones who sadly passed away during the pandemic.
This included the family of Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab, a healthy 13-year-old boy from Brixton, London, who tragically passed away alone in hospital a day after testing positive for COVID-19.
His family were not able to attend the funeral because they had to self-isolate, in what Prince Charles branded a 'tragic story' who made him 'utterly heartbroken'.
Many parents also have taken to Twitter to reveal how they were forced to care for their children while exhibiting symptoms of coronavirus, as results of the government's guidelines.
Official advice from the government warned against long-distance journeys during lockdown.
Mariana is the editor of My Imperfect Life. She has previously worked for lifestyle titles including GoodtoKnow covering all aspects of women’s lifestyle - from beauty and fashion to wellness and travel.
Prince Harry mocked as 'out of touch' for urging people to leave jobs that don't bring them 'joy'
Prince Harry has said that quitting one's job for mental health reasons should be 'celebrated'
By Emma Dooney • Published
Prince Charles and Prince Harry’s relationship at an ‘all-time low’ after barely speaking all year
Prince Charles and Prince Harry have reportedly exchanged just a few ‘fraught’ calls
By Emma Shacklock • Published