Britney Spears has been flooded with messages of support from celebrities and fans following the devastating loss of her pregnancy.
The US pop singer took to Instagram on Sunday to confirm that she has suffered a miscarriage, one month after announcing she was expecting her third child with her fiancé, Sam Asghari.
Britney shared the couple's "deep sadness" over losing their "miracle baby early in the pregnancy" with her 40 million followers yesterday. She described the experience as "a devastating time for any parent" before adding, "Perhaps we should have waited to announce until we were further along."
The 40-year-old also revealed that she and Sam will "continue trying to expand our beautiful family" and "are grateful for all of your support." She finished the solemn statement with a request for privacy "during this difficult moment."
A photo posted by on
How far along Britney was in her pregnancy remains unknown, but the news was made public on Instagram by the Womanizer singer on April 11.
Britney has received thousands of kind messages in response to the update, some of which have come from the Grammy-winner's A-list friends.
"I’m so sorry for your loss sis," said Paris Hilton. "Always here for you. Sending you so much love❤️ Love you lots B💘." The hotel heiress had also been one of the first celebrities to support Britney when she revealed her pregnancy, writing, "Congratulations sis!! 🥳 I’m so excited for you!!😍 Love you!!!🥰" beneath the pop icon's announcement post.
Paris's latest sweet message was echoed by Christina Perri, who has also suffered from pregnancy loss. "So sorry 💔💔💔💔," the Jar of Hearts singer wrote.
Britney's fiancé, Sam, also left the reassuring comment, "We will have a miracle baby soon." The 28-year-old personal trainer had previously shared his excitement over becoming a parent, taking to Instagram with the following statement: "Fatherhood is something I have always looked forward to and I don’t take lightly."
Britney discovered she was pregnant during a trip to Maui with Sam after an at-home test revealed a positive result. In the announcement post, she revealed to her Instagram followers that she had initially thought her growing belly was caused by eating too much food. "I thought 'Geez … what happened to my stomach ???'" she wrote, adding that Sam had simply told her she was "food pregnant."
Britney already has two teenage sons, Sean Preston, 16, and Jayden James, 15, with her ex-husband, Kevin Federline. She lost custody of the boys to the background dancer in 2007, after suffering from a mental breakdown. Today, Britney holds 30% custody of Sean and Jayden, while Kevin has the remaining 70%.
Sign up to our free daily email for the latest royal and entertainment news, interesting opinion, expert advice on styling and beauty trends, and no-nonsense guides to the health and wellness questions you want answered.
Hailing from the lovely city of Dublin, Emma mainly covers the Royal Family and the entertainment world, as well as the occasional health and wellness feature. Always up for a good conversation, she has a passion for interviewing everyone from A-list celebrities to the local GP - or just about anyone who will chat to her, really.
Emma holds an MA in International Journalism from City, University of London, and a BA in English Literature from Trinity College Dublin.
The subtle meaning of Princess Charlotte's name that honours four iconic royals
Princess Charlotte was christened with two special middle names - and even her first name is a nod to a relative
By Caitlin Elliott Published
Cat Deeley's bedroom ensuite perfectly demonstrates quiet luxury decor trend with pure white marble and sage green accents
Cat Deeley's marble ensuite might be our new favourite interior design inspiration
By Laura Harman Published