We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
The top 50 most read books by Brits have been revealed, after new research found that a person will read on average 696 books over a lifetime.
The study, which was commissioned by eBay UK, also found that the average person will get through 11 books a year, with almost one in five saying they read every day.
However, researchers also found that 42 per cent of Brits are too busy to read as much as they would like with the average adult owning at least 10 books they are yet to get to the end of.
And as for what we read?
Crime is the most popular genre (42 per cent) along with thrillers (38 per cent) and drama (35 per cent).
‘There’s no doubt that we’re a nation of readers,’ said Rob Johnson, Co-Founder of Wordery, eBay UK’s online bookstore, ‘but it’s really heartwarming to see that reading books and getting lost in fiction is still a hobby Brits love to take part in, especially in the days of box sets and instant viewing.
The study of 2,000 adults found summer holidays are the optimum time to get your nose into a good book, with 65 per cent saying that reading on holiday as a good way to relax.In fact, the average adult will get through two books during a week-long break, getting lost inside an exciting tale for one hour and 20 minutes a day while on a break – twice as long as they do when they are at home.
And 36 per cent happily re-read a story on holiday that they’ve already enjoyed before.
Tilda Molho, director of media and entertainment at eBay, added: ‘Our online book stores are always incredibly popular, but the roaring trade definitely comes during the run up to the summer months, when we as Brits generally make more time for reading and spending time offline.’
So what are the most popular books read by Brits that you can take off on your travels with you?
Well the top 50 are:
- The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
- The Da Vinci Code
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Nineteen-Eighty Four
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Treasure Island
- The Wind in the Willows
- The Hobbit
- The Girl on the Train
- Jane Eyre
- The Lord of the Rings
- Lord of the Flies
- Wuthering Heights
- Bridget Jones’ Diary
- The Catcher in the Rye
- A Tale of Two Cities
- Gone Girl
- Fifty Shades of Grey
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
- The Lovely Bones
- Tales of Huckleberry Finn
- Murder on the Orient Express
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
- The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
- The Hunger Games
- Anne of Green Gables
- The Time Traveller’s Wife
- The Wizard of Oz
- Jamaica Inn
- PS. I Love You
- Brighton Rock
- Life of Pi
- The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest
- The Kite Runner
- Memoirs of a Geisha
- American Psycho
- The Handmaid’s Tale
- My Sister’s Keeper
- Me Before You
- One Day
- Jack Reacher: Killing Floor