Chickpea Salad With Broccoli, Rocket And Crispy Bacon
With crispy bacon, crunchy broccoli and juicy chickpeas, this salad recipe is a great spring side, lunch or light dinner option
- 200g smoked streaky bacon
- 250g tenderstem broccoli
- 660g jar chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 roasted red peppers (from a jar), cut into strips
- A large handful of rocket
- 6tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3tbsp sherry vinegar
We recommend using jars of large Spanish chickpeas for this salad – they’re juicier and tastier than their canned cousins. Chickpeas are a great source of healthy protein and fibre that count towards your five a day thanks to their mineral content – they’re packed with folate, copper and manganese.
Broccoli is dubbed a super food too, thanks to it’s healthy qualities, including a good dose of vitamin K, vitamin C and B6 among others, so it’s a great veggie to include in this dish to make sure you’re getting more vitamins and minerals in your diet.
This delicious salad recipe makes enough to serve six people, so it’s a great one to try if you’ve got a lot of guests coming. You can always leave the bacon out too if there are any vegetarians coming.
- Grill the bacon until crispy; drain on kitchen paper. Blanch the broccoli in boiling, salted water for 3 minutes then drain and refresh under cold running water.Whisk together the dressing ingredients and season.
- Toss the broccoli, chickpeas, peppers and rocket in the dressing. Put into a serving bowl then roughly chop the bacon and scatter over.