Prawn mousse with orange and watercress salad is a really elegant Christmas starter recipe that friends and family will love. Plus, it can be made in advance
- 700g raw large prawns (shelled weight)
- 5 large free-range egg whites
- Tabasco sauce
- juice of 1 lemon
- 300ml double cream
- brown shrimps, to serve
- lemon wedges, to serve
- orange segments, to serve
- watercress, to serve
- 6 buttered ramekin dishes or timbale moulds
- Put the prawns into a food processor and pulse to a purée, then add the egg whites, a good few shakes of Tabasco sauce, the lemon juice and a good pinch of sea salt. Put into a bowl, cover and chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Overnight is fine.
- Stir in the cream. Divide between the dishes and cover each one with a buttered circle of baking parchment.
- Heat the oven to 150C, gas 2. Put the dishes into a roasting tin and pour in enough hot water to come two-thirds of the way up the dishes. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and invert on to a large plate. Cool, then put in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight. To serve, top with the shrimps and serve the salad on the side.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up