Triple Chocolate Swiss Roll
Triple chocolate Swiss roll is wickedly good and will bring make an impressive cake recipe for any special occasion
- 3 medium eggs
- 75g (3oz) caster sugar, plus 2 tbsp to dust
- 75g (3oz) plain flour, sieved
- 25g (1oz) cocoa powder mixed
- 1 tbsp semi skimmed milk
- 100g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 100g (4oz) icing sugar
- 50g (2oz) milk chocolate, melted
- 50g (2oz) white chocolate, melted
- 25g (1oz) dark chocolate, melted
- 25g (1oz) chocolate curls (see tip)
To make chocolate curls melt 100g (4oz) of chocolate and spread evenly over a baking sheet. Place in the fridge to set for 10-20 minutes but do not leave for to long or the chocolate will be to hard. Place the baking sheet on the work surface in front of you. Lean against the surface to steady the tray, then slowly drag a large knife at a 90 degree angle towards you so it scrapes a thin layer that curls up as you drag.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/350F Gas 4. Grease & base line a 30 x 20 cm (11¾ in x 8in) Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
- Using an electric hand whisk, beat the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl for 10 minutes until its pale, thick and has doubled in size.
- Fold in the flour, cocoa powder and milk then pour into the prepared tin. Spreading to the corners with a palette knife. Bake for 10 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Lay a damp tea towel on the work surface and top with a piece of greaseproof paper large than the Swiss roll. Dust the greaseproof paper with the caster sugar then carefully turn out the warm sponge onto the sugar-dusted paper.
- Peel away the greaseproof paper on the base of the sponge then score a line along one of the shorter ends of the sponge, approximately 1cm (½in) away from the edge.
- Start rolling using this incision and use the greaseproof paper to help you turn it tightly. Wrap in the damp tea towel and leave to cool completely.
- Using the electric whisk beat the butter and icing sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the melted milk chocolate until combined. Unroll the sponge and spread with the butter cream leaving a 1cm (½in) border of clean Carefully re roll beginning again at the end with the incision. Roll all the way to the end and stop once the seal is at the base. Drizzle with the melted white chocolate, then the dark chocolate and top with the chocolate curls to serve.