Freezer Greens Risotto
An easy vegetarian risotto recipe that's quick, healthy and tasty
- 1tbsp butter
- 1tsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, very finely chopped
- 150g (5oz) risotto rice (we used Arborio)
- 130ml (4.5 fl oz) dry white wine
- around 700ml (1.25pt) vegetable or chicken stock, kept simmering
- 250g (9oz) mixed frozen green vegetables (we used flageolet beans, peas and double-podded broad beans)
- 50g (2oz) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
In fact, you’ve probably got most of the rest of the ingredients in your fridge and store cupboard too, so it makes this dish really cost effective.
With butter, oil and dry white wine and a few shallots, this dish turns out really creamy and full of flavour, so it’s a great one to try to fill up the whole family this week.
- Heat the butter and oil in a wide pan and add the shallots. Soften for about five minutes over a medium heat, then add the rice. Coat well in the butter and fry for a further minute. Turn up the heat, add the white wine and let it bubble off until it has almost disappeared.
- Add the hot stock a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly and waiting until each ladle has been absorbed before adding another one. Depending on the rice you use, you may need to add slightly more stock.
- When all the stock has been incorporated and the rice is cooked through, add the frozen green vegetables and half the Parmesan, and continue to stir for a couple more minutes. Serve immediately with the rest of the Parmesan sprinkled over.