This delicious vegan butternut squash tagine is packed with antioxidants and is quick and simple to make
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 0.5 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- 0.5 tsp harissa paste or sauce
- pinch saffron (optional)
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2.5cm (1in) chunks
- half red pepper
- 200g (7oz) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2.5cm (1in) chunks
- 1tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until just starting to colour. Add all the spices and cook for a further minute or two. Add the tomatoes, sweet potato, red pepper and butternut squash.
Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and let the tagine simmer for ten minutes or until the vegetables are just cooked. Add the coriander and stir well.
Serve with brown rice, quinoa or couscous.