This is a stunning lemon drizzle cake, yet so quick to make. We made ours ultra-special with a ring mould
- 200g (7oz) plain flour
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar, plus 2tbsp
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 125g (4½oz) soft, unsalted butter
- juice and zest 2 unwaxed lemons
- 1 large egg and 2 large yolks
- ½ x 284ml carton buttermilk
- 6tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- juice 1 lemon
- 1.2 litre (2pt) Kugelhopf mould, well oiled, or a 15cm (6in) square tin, lightly greased and fully lined with parchment paper
To freeze make cake to end of step 4. Wrap in foil to freeze. Defrost thoroughly and complete step 5.
Preheat the oven to 180C, 160 C fan, 350F, gas 4. Sieve the flour, sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs.
Beat remaining ingredients (except the lemon juice) in a bowl. Add to flour mixture, beating. Pour into mould.
Bake the cake on the middle shelf of the oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Skewer holes all over the surface of the cake.
Mix the lemon juice and 2tbsp caster sugar and pour over the hot cake. Cool in the tin.
Whisk drizzle ingredients in a bowl until smooth, pouring consistency. If too thin, add more sugar. Drizzle over the cake to serve.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up