Celebrate Easter with this fun, chocolate-packed Easter bunny chocolate cake.
Nothing screams Easter like bunny ears. We’ve separated a big white chocolate Easter egg and used them to make this delicious chocolate cake super Easter like. You could serve this for pudding after your Easter dinner or why not have it with a cup of tea over the Easter weekend. The white chocolate buttercream helps bring the moist chocolate sponge to life.
Want more baking inspiration for Easter? Why not try out one of our other great baking recipes too.
Having cake trouble? Take a look at our Test Kitchen’s handy tips. You’ll never have a baking nightmare again!
- Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Mix the cocoa powder with 400ml boiling water, and leave to cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1⁄4tsp salt into a bowl; set aside. Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla. Mix in 1 egg and then a third of the flour mix. Repeat with the remaining eggs and flour. Fold in the cooled cocoa.
- Divide the mixture into the tins and bake for 30-40 mins or until a cocktail stick inserted into centre of each cake comes out clean. Loosen the edges with a knife and leave to cool for 20 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- For the buttercream, melt the chocolate in the microwave. Cream the butter, add the icing sugar gradually and cream until fluffy. Add the chocolate and beat until combined, then the milk to loosen the buttercream, if needed.
- Spread a coating of buttercream on top of the bottom layer and place the other layer on top, then cover the entire cake. Put Easter egg halves on top (like ears) and scatter on chocolate eggs.
- for the cake:
- 100g cocoa powder
- 240g self-raising flour
- 11⁄2tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 240g butter, softened
- 400g caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- for the buttercream:
- 200g white chocolate
- 250g butter, softened
- 500g icing sugar, sifted
- 2-3tbsp milk
- to decorate:
- 1 white chocolate egg, split in half, and smaller chocolate speckle eggs
- you will need:2 x 25cm round baking tins, greased and lined with baking parchment
Top Tip for making Easter bunny chocolate cake
Leave off the easter egg decorations and you can serve this all year round
The Dermstore Beauty Refresh Sale has arrived: here are the best deals to shop
Score limited-time deals with the promo code GLOWUP applied at checkout
By Dominique McIntee •
'Bachelor' host Chris Harrison says he regrets defending Rachael Kirkconnell's racism
Presenter of the Bachelor, Chris Harrison, states that he regrets defending Rachel Kirkconnell’s past racist actions
By Laura Harman •
Sophia Vergara wins embryo court battle against her ex
Sophia Vergara has won a lawsuit against her ex that concerns the couple's frozen embryos
By Laura Harman •