If you’re looking for a classic dessert recipe that has more of a wintry touch to your usual Eton mess, give this version using tropical fruits a try. Using fruits that ripen well in the winter, this dinner party recipe is a great way to enjoy Eton mess all year round.
It’s quick, easy and will please any guests you’ve got coming.
HOW TO MAKE TROPICAL ETON MESS
- 3 large free-range egg whites
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 2tbsp toasted chopped hazelnuts
- a selection of tropical fruit, chopped (such as mango, passion fruit, pineapple, papaya, kiwi fruit, pomegranate seeds, physalis)
- 300ml double cream, lightly whipped
- pomegranate molasses, to serve
You will need:
- 2 baking trays, lined with baking parchment
- Heat the oven to 150C, gas 2. Put the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on a slow speed until frothy. Increase the speed and whisk until very stiff, then start adding the sugar, a dessert spoonful at a time, until the mixture is very thick and glossy.
- Fold in 1tbsp of the hazelnuts. Spoon 12 heaped dessert spoonfuls of meringue on to the lined baking trays, allowing a little room for them to expand. Sprinkle the remaining hazelnuts on top and put the trays in the oven for 40 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow to cool completely. You can store these in an airtight tin for up to 5 days.
- Mix ¾ of the fruit with the whipped cream and lightly crushed meringue very lightly to just combine, then spoon into glass dishes and top with remaining fruit. Drizzle with pomegranate molasses to serve.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen's heartbreaking joke to national treasure Sir David Attenborough
The Queen's heartbreaking joke to national treasure Sir David Attenborough shows despite gloomy topics—she's always got a sense of humor
By Aoife Hanna • Published
11 inspirational poetry quotes that will get you thinking
These inspirational poetry quotes from the likes of William Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, and Maya Angelou pack a powerful punch
By Arielle Tchiprout • Published
The strange reason this expert wants you to continue wearing masks
Masks can help save you from infection and disease, but can wearing a face mask also help you get a date? This study suggests so...
By Laura Harman • Published