For a salad option that looks as good on the table as it tastes, give this really bright beetroot and butternut squash recipe a go this week.
It’s a great way to use up any of the veg you might have left over in the fridge and is really quick to throw together – plus it makes a change from your bog standard salad recipes.
You’ll need to roast the veg in separate tins first, but once their added together and tossed with the rest of the herbs you’ll really appreciate this flavoursome dish.
This gorgeous salad serves up to six people so it’s a great one to try if you’ve got visitors or just want a big batch of something in the fridge you can serve up for lunches throughout the week.
HOW TO MAKE SQUASH AND BEETROOT SALAD
- Preheat the oven to 200C, 180C fan, 400F, gas 6. Toss together the squash, half the olive oil, fennel and a pinch of sea salt then place in a roasting tin. In a separate roasting tin, toss the beetroot with the remaining oil and a pinch of salt, and bake both for 30 minutes, until tender.
- Mix the squash, beetroot, herbs and pine nuts, then top the mixture with chunks of feta on a serving platter. Whisk oil and lemon juice to dress.
- 1 large butternut squash, approx 1kg (2lb 4oz), peeled and cut into small chunks
- 4tbsp olive oil plus a little extra
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- 600g (1lb 5oz) raw beetroot, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 4tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 50g (2oz) pine nuts, toasted
- 1 x 200g (7oz) pack feta, crumbled
- oil and lemon juice, to dress
Top Tip for making Squash and Beetroot Salad
All our salads are of our favourite “make-ahead” variety and won’t wilt if they’re sitting on a serving table for an hour or so – great for a relaxed buffet meal
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Snow Moon—name's origins and the planet whose shadow period might cause problems
Snow Moon—February full moon meaning and why you'd better keep an eye one troublesome planet's retrograde shadow period this lunar cycle
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Mercury Retrograde shadow period 2022 will happen EIGHT times so here's what to look out for
Mercury retrograde shadow period 2022—the period before and after this year's FOUR Mercury retrogrades and what to look out for
By Rylee Johnston • Published
Carrie and...who?! And Just Like That fans shocked by potential new romance
And Just Like That fans are shocked as they pick up between a potential new romance that may be blossoming between Carrie and...
By Laura Harman • Published