True flavours of the Mediterranean – this dish is simple but impressive.
Cooking fish can seem intimidating to some people but this recipe for pan fried sea bass will show you how easy, and delicious, it can be to prepare at home. The crispy skinned bass is served alongside tender and golden sauteed courgettes. Adding the lemon zest and fine herbs to the courgettes after cooking stops them from browning and developing an acrid flavour. Whereas more woody herbs like rosemary can be cooked without it interfering with their flavour. This is finished off with a simple lemon sauce and is a perfect speedy weeknight meal. If you fell you have mastered the art of cooking fish at home then give this Salmon Papilotte or this Tuna with Noodles recipe a try.
- Roughly chop all but one of the medium courgettes into equal sized wedges. Grate the remaining courgette and sprinkle with salt. Slice the baby courgettes into small rounds.
- Heat 3tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan and fry all of the courgette pieces until they wilt slightly and colour nicely.
- Tip the cooked courgette into a bowl and add the lemon zest and all but 1tbsp of the juice. Once they have cooled add the chopped basil, mint and marjoram and stir the mixture together.
- Season the sea bass with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Heat the frying pan and add the remaining olive oil, heat until hot and add the sea bass fillets skin side down. Turn the heat down a little and leave the fish to relax in the pan, don’t be tempted to press the fish down if there is any tightening of the flesh.
- Spoon the courgettes into two serving bowls and then add the sea bass on top.
- Add the butter into the fish pan and warm it until it starts to bubble, keep heating it until it just starts to brown. Toss in the chopped rosemary and a final splash of lemon juice and pour this fragrant sauce over the top of the fish.
- 2 fillets of Seabass
- 300g medium courgettes
- 200g baby courgettes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lemons, juiced and zested
- 3 cloves of garlic
- A few sprigs each basil, mint and marjoram
- 3tbsp butter
- A sprig of rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
Top Tip for making Pan fried sea bass fillet with herbed courgettes
Be careful not to the courgettes as they change in taste and texture once over cooked.
Chef, Food Writer, and Podcast Host Elişa Roche trained under Jamie Oliver as part of Channel 4 show Jamie's Kitchen before working at some of London's best restaurants. She has cooked at No10 Downing Street and for celebrities including Oprah Winfrey, U2, and Sir Paul McCartney.
She now hosts a podcast about careers in the food industry and loves to mentor newcomers. Before that, Elişa worked as Group Food Director and TI Media and then Future, commissioning, art directing, and producing food and drinks content across more than 20 magazines and their associated websites and special issues.
Half Turkish, half French, Elişa claims to love a kebab as much as a bottle of champagne. She is the proud owner of a chiweenie, that's a sausage dog crossed with a chihuahua.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Best Valentine's Day Movies to watch this February 14
Here is our list of best romantic movies to enjoy this Valentine's Day, from rom-coms to period dramas there's something for everyone
By Laura Harman • Published
Chinese New Year 2022—Year of the Water Tiger and the lunar celebration explained
Chinese New Year 2022 welcomes in the Year of the Water Tiger—here's everything to know about the celebration and its lunar connections
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Adele's Las Vegas set removal from Caesars Palace has ticketholders worried for future concerts
Adele postponed all of her Las Vegas residency dates last week
By Emma Dooney • Published