By Jules Mercer
This tuna and noodles with crispy capers is delicious, quick and easy!
We love the zesty dressing and think it will become a new family favourite in no time at all.
How can you serve Tuna steaks? We’re serving our tuna steaks with a delicious Asian-flavoured side of egg noodles and a quick pickled cucumber. Using tuna steaks ensures the dish remains light, fresh and full of flavour. We prefer our tuna served hot for dinner but you can also turn any leftovers into an incredibly punchy noodle salad – perfect as a packed lunch.
Tuna steaks are available in most supermarkets, or head down to your local fishmonger. To ensure you’re buying sustainable-farmed fish look out for the MSC label, recognisable by their blue tick label. The tick indicates the fish has been farmed in sustainable waters and is not exploited or endangered.
Pickling cucumbers doesn’t need to be a lengthy process; in fact our recipe only takes 3 mins! By heating the ingredients you speed up the pickling process and you’re left with the same, delicious results. If you do have more time, dissolve the sugar in the white wine vinegar and water, and then place all the ingredients into sterilised pickling jars and leave to ferment for 5 days before eating.
Looking for more exciting tuna recipes? We love this one for grilled tuna steaks with sesame noodles as a fun alternative to the above, or have a look at our recipe for a classic French tuna nicoise pasta salad.
- 2 tuna steaks
- 275g egg noodles, straight to wok
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 lime, to serve
For the quick pickled cucumber:
- 1 cucumber, deseeded, cut into thin sticks
- 150ml white wine vinegar
- 1tbsp caster sugar
For the crispy capers:
- 1tsp olive oil
- 3tbsp drained capers
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- To make the quick pickled cucumber: Put the cucumber into a small saucepan with the white wine vinegar, 75ml water, caster sugar and 1tsp salt. Bring to the boil and heat for 2-3 mins, allowing the sugar to evaporate. Set aside and allow to cool.
- To make the crispy capers: Heat a frying pan over a high heat with the oil. When shimmering hot add 1tbsp of capers and fry until crispy and puffed. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in the pan and add the tuna steaks, season and cook for 2 mins on each side. When the tuna is cooked remove from the pan and add the egg noodles, and soy sauce, heat through for 2 - 3 mins.
- Arrange the fish and noodles on serving plates, spoon over the dressing, scatter with crispy capers, quick pickled cucumber, sesame seeds and finish with a squeeze of lime.
Top Tip for making Tuna and noodles with crispy capers
Prepare the quick pickled cucumber further in advance for a more intense flavour
The Queen's childhood friend reveals touching details about the young 'Lilibeth' in never-before-published diaries
The journal entries of the Queen's childhood friend, Alathea Fitzlan Howard, have been published in The Windsor Diaries
By Emma Dooney •
William and Kate announce exciting new project: 'we're on YouTube!'
Introducing Prince William and Kate Middleton's YouTube channel...
By Lucy Abbersteen •
That viral photograph of Joe Biden and Jimmy Carter actually has a very logical explanation behind it
Joe Biden and Jimmy Carter have gone viral because of a very unusual photo
By Laura Harman •