Cooking in paper on the barbecue is easier than you think and our salmon papillote with fennel and grapefruit is a great recipe to start with.
This method of preparing fish is a simple but very effective way to ensure delicate cooking and results in extremely succulent fish. A perfect pairing of salmon and fennel, we’ve added an extra punch of aniseed with a splash of Pernod and the sharpness from the grapefruit really cuts through the fattiness of the salmon. Cooking “en papilliote” or “in paper” is extremely easy. It is great for BBQs as all the ingredients cook together, so no getting flustered over hot coals. We’ve kept this one fairly simple, but we urge you to play around with flavours and marinades and see what works for you. For more barbecue fish recipes try out these grilled sardines or our barbecued mackerel.
- Blanch the fennel in a pan of salted water. Drain and plunge into iced water.
- Fold a sheet of baking paper in half along the width, open back up and arrange the fennel and shallots on one side, leaving a frame of at least 5cm around the edges. Dot cubes of butter over the vegetables, pour over the alcohol and scatter with half the parsley. Place the salmon on top. Season.
- Fold over the baking paper, and
- fold and twist the edges like a Cornish pasty, from one side to the other. Place on the barbecue and cook for 25 mins.
- Transfer to a large plate or board, rip open the paper and scatter over the grapefruit, along with the remaining parsley. Garnish with fennel fronds.
- 2 bulbs of fennel (core removed), sliced (save the fronds for garnish)
- 4 echalion shallots, peeled and halved
- 40g butter, diced
- 50ml Pernod
- 20ml white wine
- ½ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 500g skin-on side of salmon
- 1 red grapefruit, cut into segments
Top Tip for making Salmon papillote with fennel and grapefruit
Make sure there’re not flames as the paper will catch.
That viral photograph of Joe Biden and Jimmy Carter actually has a very logical explanation behind it
Joe Biden and Jimmy Carter have gone viral because of a very unusual photo
By Laura Harman •
Susanna Reid defends Meghan Markle following Piers Morgan’s criticism of her new book
Susanna Reid shared her thoughts on Meghan Markle's children's book on today's Good Morning Britain
By Emma Dooney •
The Duchess of Cornwall offers royal fans a peek at her stylish study during an interview with Edna O’Brien
Have a look at the study in Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall’s home, Clarence House
By Laura Harman •