By TI Media
Oven roasted salmon is a super-healthy dish that is blissfully easy to make and brightens any table. For our oven roasted salmon we’ve used a large side of salmon which is full of vitamins and makes a wonderful centrepiece for an Easter or even Christmas feast. Melt in the mouth Isle of Wight tomatoes are in their element with baby herb leaves, combined with palette-cleansing fennel and lemon slices.
How can I tell when my oven roasted salmon is cooked?
A standard, supermarket side of salmon typically weighs between 800kg and 1.2kg. It may weight a little more if you get it fresh from a fishmonger and it still has some bones and fatty edges. As a general rule, trim the fish if necessary then err on the side of caution and oven cook for no more than 20 minutes to retain pinkness. If baking salmon and covering it in foil or parchment, you can bake for longer - up to 45 minutes - on lower heat settings.
How many people does a side of salmon serve?
An average supermarket side of salmon will serve around 8 people, more if a whopper. If buying a whole side and wanting to make it last, trim the thinner, tail end off and chop that into three or four small fillet sections which can be frozen and used later. Now you have left the thickest part of the salmon which will cook nice and evenly.
Can you marinate salmon for too long?
Yes you can! If you are using a marinade which contains acidic flavours such as lemon or vinegar, this ‘cures’ the fish and eventually toughens up the flesh. You would not want to marinade a lovely side of salmon in acidic flavours for longer than 30 minutes. Other marinades without acids work well on salmon left for hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 190C, Gas 5.
- Stir mustard, sugar and half the oil together.
- Lay salmon onto oven proof, non waxed baking paper and season with salt and pepper. Brush the mustard and sugar mixture over the whole side and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place all remaining ingredients apart from herbs into a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss until everything is coated.
- Artfully cover the salmon with individual pieces of veg, distributing randomly and evenly until the entire side is well covered.
- Oven roast for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and salmon has just cooked through. Dress before serving with the fresh herb shoots. Serve with lemon wedges.
- 1tsp light brown sugar
- 1tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 whole side of salmon, skin-on, grey fat trimmed
- 2tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, 1 very thinly sliced, one to serve
- 1/2 a fennel bulb, very thinly sliced plus leaf sprigs
- 10 mixed colour cherry tomatoes, halved. We love Isle of Wight
- sprigs of dill and baby basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
Top Tip for making Oven roasted salmon with fennel and tomatoes
Like it fiery? Serve with green Tabasco
Prince Harry reunited with his father and brother for two hours after Prince Philip’s funeral
The family reportedly talked away from the cameras at Windsor Castle
By Emma Shacklock •
Sharon Osbourne reveals she slapped Piers Morgan during a heated row
Sharon Osbourne has admitted she once hit Piers Morgan at a Chinese restaurant
By Emma Dooney •
Audrey Hepburn was a 'Battle-hardened badass', according to her son Luca Dotti
Secrets about the iconic actress have been revealed by her family in new biography Warrior: Audrey Hepburn
By Selina Maycock •