By Jane Curran published
Macaroni cheese is the ultimate comfort food and while we love the normal version, this adaptation with lobster makes it a grown up dish that makes a great main for any dinner party you might have coming up.
While lobster might seem a little pricey, it goes really far in this dish as four lobsters are used to make a dish that will serve up to 12 people – so it’s a cost effective way of cooking with lobster. You needn’t tell your guests that though!
With plenty of cheese and breadcrumbs sprinkled over the top to add an extra layer of crunch, you’ll want to make this dish again and again.
HOW TO MAKE LOBSTER MAC AND CHEESE
- 500g macaroni or casarecce pasta
- 1 litre milk
- 125g butter
- 100g plain flour
- 2tbsp Dijon mustard
- 300g Gruyere, grated
- 200g extra mature Cheddar, grated
- 1kg lobster meat (about 4 whole)
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
You will need:
- 2 medium-sized ovenproof gratin dishes
- Cook the macaroni in a large pan of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and toss in olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the flour and cook for a few minutes. Heat the milk separately, then whisk in the milk and keep cooing over a lowish heat until thickened. Stir in the mustard and all the cheese, bar 5tbsp.
- Heat the oven to 190C, gas 5. Mix the sauce into the macaroni. Slice the lobster and stir in. Put into the gratin dishes and top with the breadcrumbs and remaining cheese. Bake for 35 minutes until piping hot, golden brown and bubbling.
Top Tip for making Lobster Mac And Cheese
You could make this the day before and reheat in the microwave.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Princess Eugenie's podcast—new project revealed as Prince Andrew chaos continues
Princess Eugenie's podcast series is in collaboration with her charity, The Anti-Slavery Collective, and co-hosted by Julia de Boinville
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Kate Middleton and Prince William could move to Windsor to be closer to the Queen
Kate Middleton and Prince William could move to Windsor, with their three children, in order to be closer to Her Majesty the Queen
By Sarah Finley • Published
This video of Will Smith dancing with his 85-year-old mom to Whitney Houston is the best thing you’ll see all day
Will Smith shared a sweet video celebrating his mother’s birthday
By Anna Rahmanan • Published