Easter wouldn’t be the same without plenty of cakes on offer, but if you’re following a gluten free diet, that doesn’t mean that you have to miss out on all the tasty Easter treats.
Try this brilliant Easter recipe for a gluten free Easter cake and you’d never know the difference. It’s a sponge cake filled with apricot and raspberry jam, so it’s light and lovely and sweet. Decorate this bake with flowers for a really special Easter treat.
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE EASTER CAKE
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g butter, softened
- 5 free-range eggs
- 125g gluten-free plain flour
- 65g cornflour
- 75g ground almonds
- 1 heaped tsp gluten-free baking powder
- a few drops vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 4tbsp apricot and raspberry jam
- 100g icing sugar
- A few primulas
You will need:
- 2 x 20cm sponge tins, oiled and lined with baking parchment
- Heat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, gas 4. Measure all the cake ingredients in to a large mixing bowl and beat well together with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two tins and bake for 20 to 25 mins until golden and firm to touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 15 mins before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Sandwich the cakes with the jam.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with a teaspoon of water to give a very thick pouring consistency and drizzle over the cake. Decorate with the flowers just before serving. The cake will keep for 2 to 3 days in a cake tin.
Top Tip for making Gluten free Easter Cake
You can use this mixture to make fairy cakes too. Just divide between cupcake cases and bake for 15 to 18 mins, then top with the icing
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Venus in retrograde 2022—How will it affect your love life, depending on your star sign
Venus in retrograde 2022 presents rare conjunction and the push you need to transform your love and sex life—but time is running out
By Stephanie Campos-Powell • Published
Emma Thompson on filming her first nude scene—'It's very challenging to be nude at 62'
Emma Thompson has opened up about her new movie Good Luck to You, Leo Grande which features the 62-year-old actress' first nude scene
By Laura Harman • Published
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment on wedding day revealed by lip-reader
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment to husband Jack Brooksbank on wedding day revealed as a lip-reader decodes sweet moment between the couple
By Aoife Hanna • Published