For a duck recipe with a difference, try this dish with Middle Eastern-inspired ingredients for a new way to enjoy the rich meat.
Pomegranate molasses, a syrup used in Middle Eastern dishes, gives this duck dish a sweet and sour flavour that is really distinctive. It’s a great dinner party recipe to try if you’re looking for something new to cook up this week. Served with nuts, red onions and fresh pomegranate seeds, this main is full of different flavours and textures.
HOW TO MAKE DUCK WITH POMEGRANATE AND WALNUTS
- Fry the walnuts for a few minutes in 1tbsp hot olive oil until crisp, then set aside on kitchen paper. Fry the onions for a few minutes until coloured. Set a quarter of both of these aside for later.
- Make small slashes in the duck fat but not the skin. Season well all over. Heat the remaining oil in a deep sauté pan and brown the fat until crispy. Set aside. Return the onions and walnuts to the pan. Add the molasses and chicken stock, bring to the boil then simmer gently.
- Return the duck to the pan flesh side down then cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until the duck is tender. Take out the duck (you may want to flash grill it to crisp it up). Reduce the sauce until thickened slightly. Stir in the parsley. Slice the duck and spoon over the sauce. Scatter over the reserved nuts, onions and the pomegranate seeds.
- 200g walnut pieces
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 4 duck breasts
- 100g pomegranate molasses
- 200ml rich chicken stock
- 4tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4tbsp pomegranate seeds
Top Tip for making Duck With Pomegranate And Walnuts
We served our duck with basmati rice to which we added chopped pistachios, orange segments and pomegranate seeds.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Venus in retrograde 2022—How will it affect your love life, depending on your star sign
Venus in retrograde 2022 presents rare conjunction and the push you need to transform your love and sex life—but time is running out
By Stephanie Campos-Powell • Published
Emma Thompson on filming her first nude scene—'It's very challenging to be nude at 62'
Emma Thompson has opened up about her new movie Good Luck to You, Leo Grande which features the 62-year-old actress' first nude scene
By Laura Harman • Published
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment on wedding day revealed by lip-reader
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment to husband Jack Brooksbank on wedding day revealed as a lip-reader decodes sweet moment between the couple
By Aoife Hanna • Published