By Woman and Home published
This tasty chicken and shiitake mushroom noodle soup gets its flavours from East Asia, where the shiitake mushroom has been long praised for its health properties and it’s commonly used in stir fries and other Asian cuisine. Ginger, tamari, spring onions and lemon grass give a bit of pep to this healthy chicken recipe, with the shiitake mushroom providing earthy, smoky flavour. For a lighter version of this soup, you can just leave out the noodles and have it for supper.
The soup is brimming with tasty vegetables and spices, so it’s easy to replace the chicken with the ingredient of your choice. If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, this soup is delicious with chunks of tofu (added at the end of cooking the broth). For seafood variations, try prawns or chunks of white fish. For more foody inspiration, have a look at our other delicious soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND SHIITAKE MUSHROOM SOUP
- Place the chicken and stock in a saucepan. Add the ginger, tamari, spring onions, red chilli and lemongrass, cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Add the mushrooms, simmer gently for 5 minutes, then add the mangetout and rice noodles to the soup.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, then add the coriander, stir well and serve.
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, sliced
- 900ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2tbsp tamari
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- 1 large red chilli, chopped
- 1 stick lemongrass, finely sliced
- 75g (3oz) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 75g (3oz) mangetout
- 100g (4oz) rice noodles, cooked (Amoy Straight-to-wok Rice Noodles are great)
- 3tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Princess Eugenie's podcast—new project revealed as Prince Andrew chaos continues
Princess Eugenie's podcast series is in collaboration with her charity, The Anti-Slavery Collective, and co-hosted by Julia de Boinville
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Kate Middleton and Prince William could move to Windsor to be closer to the Queen
Kate Middleton and Prince William could move to Windsor, with their three children, in order to be closer to Her Majesty the Queen
By Sarah Finley • Published
This video of Will Smith dancing with his 85-year-old mom to Whitney Houston is the best thing you’ll see all day
Will Smith shared a sweet video celebrating his mother’s birthday
By Anna Rahmanan • Published