If you’re looking something special for a get together but you want to avoid serving meat, give this wonderful butternut squash recipe with goats’ cheese and beetroot a go and everyone will be super satisfied. It’s really easy to put together and tastes great, what more could you want?
HOW TO MAKE BEETROOT, BUTTERNUT AND GOAT'S CHEESE TARTLETS
- 4 beetroot, peeled and cut into sixths
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into sixths
- olive oil, for roasting
- few sprigs rosemary
- 375g (13oz) ready-rolled all-butter shortcrust pastry (we used Dorset Organic)
- 185g (6½oz) crème fraîche
- 200g (7oz) goats' cheese round, sliced into 6
You will need
- 6 x 7.5cm (3in) fluted loose-based flan tins, or a 20-23cm (8-9in) large tin, and baking beans
- Heat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, 400 F, gas 6. Place the beetroot, squash and onions in a roasting tin, toss with the oil, add the rosemary and season well. Cook for around 30 minutes, until soft and caramelised. Meanwhile, use the pastry to line the flan tins, leaving an overhang of pastry, then blind bake for around 15 minutes. When they're cooked through and sandy coloured, trim off the excess pastry with a serrated knife to form a blunt edge.
- Turn the oven down to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Fill the tart cases with the roasted vegetables, then season. Top each with 2tbsp crème fraîche and a slice of goats' cheese, season again then return to the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cheese starts to become golden and bubbly. Serve with a salad of bitter leaves and tomatoes.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Venus in retrograde 2022—How will it affect your love life, depending on your star sign
Venus in retrograde 2022 presents rare conjunction and the push you need to transform your love and sex life—but time is running out
By Stephanie Campos-Powell • Published
Emma Thompson on filming her first nude scene—'It's very challenging to be nude at 62'
Emma Thompson has opened up about her new movie Good Luck to You, Leo Grande which features the 62-year-old actress' first nude scene
By Laura Harman • Published
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment on wedding day revealed by lip-reader
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment to husband Jack Brooksbank on wedding day revealed as a lip-reader decodes sweet moment between the couple
By Aoife Hanna • Published