Firefighters called to blaze at Queen’s Balmoral Estate after ‘irresponsible’ visitors abandon campfire

A forest fire erupted nearby the Queen's private residence in Scotland on Monday after visitors failed to extinguish their campfire

Firefighters called to blaze at Queen’s Balmoral Estate after ‘irresponsible’ visitors abandon campfire
(Image credit: Getty)

Firefighters rushed to Balmoral Estate, home of the Queen's private Scottish residence, on Sunday to extinguish a campfire left by 'irresponsible' visitors, it has been revealed. 


Fire services were called to Balmoral Estate on Sunday to extinguish a forest fire caused by visitors, according to a spokesperson for the 50,000-acre property. 

The blaze started after daytrippers to the Queen's private Scottish residence failed to put out their campfire, resulting in the flames spreading and engulfing the surrounding trees. 

A representative of Balmoral took to Twitter afterwards to praise the crew for their speedy work in tackling the fire and to share some reassuring news about some of the forest's non-human inhabitants. 

Balmoral

(Image credit: Getty)

"Thanks very much to the crews from @fire_scot who extinguished this forest fire yesterday which had been started by an abandoned campfire. Due to their quick response, the fire did not affect a nearby osprey nest." 

Unimpressed royal fans were quick to share their dismay at the negligence of the visitors, with numerous people slamming their actions as 'irresponsible.' 

This is far from the first time Balmoral Estate's stunning environment has been threatened by careless human behavior. In September 2020, rangers at the Aberdeenshire attraction warned that the grounds could be destroyed by wildfires if tourists continued to leave their unattended campfires smoldering. According to staff, rangers are needed to clear the fires on a 'daily' basis. 

"Depressing to find more roots being cut off the old Scots pine trees that line the shores of Loch Muick just to be burnt on campfires," they said on Twitter. 

"Old campfires are an eyesore! This one was made in the woods next to the toilets at Loch Muick, during this weekend's high fire risk." 

Emma Dooney
Emma Dooney

Emma is a Lifestyle News Writer for woman&home. Hailing from the lovely city of Dublin, she mainly covers the Royal Family and the entertainment world, as well as the occasional health and wellness feature. Always up for a good conversation, she has a passion for interviewing everyone from A-list celebrities to the local GP - or just about anyone who will chat to her, really.

 

Emma holds an MA in International Journalism from City, University of London and a BA in English Literature from Trinity College Dublin.