- 225g (8oz) strong, mature Cheddar, grated
- 1tsp dried mustard powder
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 0.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- For the extra toppings
- 2 tbsp caramelised onions, such as English Provender or Bay Tree
- 4 slices smoked ham
- 2 free-range eggs
Preheat the grill to its highest setting.
Place the cheese, mustard powder, egg yolks, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper in a bowl and mix well.
Toast the bread on one side, then cover the untoasted side with either caramelised onions or a slice of smoked ham. Divide the rarebit mixture between the slices of toast, ensuring that all the edges are covered.
Place under the grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbling. Fry the eggs while the rarebit is cooking and place on top. Serve with a simple green or tomato salad.