Vegan pies are the perfect winter main for vegan friends and family. These inviting puff pastry pockets are filled with a spiced chickpea and beetroot mixture, and a layer of a vegan mushroom duxelles, recreating the idea of a beef Wellington, but without any meat or dairy. These vegan pies can be made in advance and frozen, so you can keep a few in the freezer for when vegan friends come to visit or you want a quick and easy home-made tea. These pies are warming, comforting and taste so good that even meat eaters will enjoy them. They are a great option for a lighter lunch that everyone will love, served with a peppery rocket salad or some new potatoes.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN PIES
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1tbsp oil
- 300g pack cooked beetroot, chopped into small chunks
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1tbsp ras el hanout
- 200g spinach
- 1tbsp tomato paste
- 325g puff pastry (Jus Rol standard puff is vegan)
For the mushroom duxelles:
- 150g chestnut mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1tbsp vegetarian soy sauce
- 100g cooked
- puy lentils
- handful parsley, chopped
- Fry the onions in oil for 5 mins. Add the beetroot, chickpeas and ras el hanout, and cook for 10 mins. Add the tomato paste and spinach, and cook for a further 5 mins. Allow to cool, divide into 4, roll into balls and chill for 30 mins.
- For the duxelles, fry the mushrooms for 5 mins then add the garlic, soy and lentils, and cook for a further 5 mins. Blend with parsley and leave to cool.
- Roll out the pastry and cut out eight 12cm circles.
- Spread a layer of duxelles on each circle. Put a ball of filling onto 4 of the circles, then top with the remaining circles. Decorate with extra pastry. Crimp the edges and chill for 30 mins. Cook at 180C for 40 mins, until golden.
Meghan Markle has decided not to have a baby shower for this reason
No lavish celebrations this time around
By Danielle Valente •
Alex Rodriguez speaks out for the first time since J.Lo and Ben Affleck reunion
News of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck has spread, and now Alex Rodriguez is finally saying something
By Rylee Johnston •
Celebrity-favorite brand Rag & Bone is having a huge secret sale right now
Saks Off 5th is having a secret sale on Rag & Bone, a celebrity-favorite of Katie Holmes, Jennifer Anniston, and Jennifer Garner
By Rylee Johnston •