By Elisa Roche
Missing your weekend brunch ritual? With this recipe for Turkish eggs, you can recreate it at home.
Turkish eggs has been a regular feature on brunch menus across the country because they're moreish, colourful and packed with protein - making them an ideal (late) start to any weekend. With this recipe, you can make them quickly and easily at home, then sit down for a phone call with your friends. It will feel like you're back at the brunch table in no time.
They also make a great, easy fix for lunch for the family as you're likely to already have most of the ingredients in your cupboards and fridge. Staples like eggs, onions and peppers are included in this recipe along with some basic spices like cumin.
Looking for some of the best brunch recipes around? Why not try our recipe for Poached Eggs with Avocado on Toast? It's a real classic that, along with Turkish eggs will see you through the afternoon.
- Heat the olive oil in your largest, lidded frying pan. Add the onions then peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook on a medium heat for three minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute to just soften the garlic.
- Sprinkle in the cumin and caraway seeds and the cayenne pepper. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for a couple more minutes then throw in the pierced toms.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered, until reduced a little. Turn off heat and stir in the herbs, spinach and a tsp of harissa if wanted spicier.
- Make 3 or 4 small dips or wells in the sauce around the pepper slices. Break an egg into a cup and drop carefully into each dip. Now put back on heat and cook for a few more minutes until the whites are just set and the yolks are still runny. Sprinkle over the crumbled feta and spring onions. Serve with yogurt and tahini mixed together on the side plus pitta breads and olives.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, 1 yellow pepper; cut into round slices, seeds removed
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes
- Handful cherry tomatoes, pierced/scored
- 1 small bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 or 4 free-range eggs
- 80g feta, crumbled
- 2 chopped raw spring onions
- 80g wilted spinach
- 1 pot thick natural yoghurt
- 4 heaped teaspoons tahini
- Harissa to dress (optional)
Top Tip for making Turkish eggs
If you like it spicy add some chilli flakes to the recipe too.
A new Downton Abbey movie is headed to theaters: here's what we know, so far
The drama isn't quite over yet
By Rylee Johnston •
Farmers' Almanac reveals the best flowering trees for gardens, and we're ready to get planting
Planting questions? Farmers' Almanac has you covered
By Danielle Valente •
Oscars Buzz: Everything you need to know about the 8 films nominated for best picture
Before the Oscars air this weekend, check out this year's nominated movies and get bingeing before the big night
By Rylee Johnston •