For a pavlova recipe with a difference, give this Indian inspired meringue a try. It’s sweet thanks to the use of mangos and the pavlova has a really nice crunch.
HOW TO MAKE SCENTED ALPHONSO MANGO PAVLOVA
Seasonal Baking by Fiona Cairns (£15; W&N)
For the meringue:
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 250g caster sugar
For the filling:
- 5 ripe Alphonso Mangoes
- 2 tbsp pistachios (or flaked almonds)
- 2 tsp milk
- a few stands of saffron
- 20 cardamom pods
- 160ml whipping cream
- 400g plain yoghurt
- 3 tsbp icing sugar, sifted
- edible flowers, freshly picked, dry and unsprayed
- Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F, gas 5. Scatter the pistachio nuts for the filling on a baking tray and roast lightly for 3 or 4 minutes. Cool slightly, chop and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 140C, 275F, gas 1. Line a baking tray with baking parchment and draw a circle on it. Turn the paper over so the pencil mark is underneath.
- To make the meringue, in a small bowl, mix the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla extract. In a very clean, dry, grease-free bowl, place the egg whites and salt. Using a food mixer or a bowl and a handheld electric whisk, whisk until soft peaks form, then continue to whisk, adding the sugar a large spoon at a time, alternating with the cornflour mix. Spoon the meringue into the circle on the tray, hollowing the centre and building the sides higher. Bake for one hour, then turn the oven off, leaving the meringue inside until cold. You can store it now in an airtight container for a few days.
- Warm the milk in a small pan and add the saffron. Set aside. With the point of a knife, split the husk of each cardamom pod and empty the seeds into a mortar. Grind to a powder, then sift to remove the husks. In a bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks and fold in the yoghurt, cardamom, saffron milk and icing sugar.
- When ready to serve, place the pavlova on a cake stand or plate. Spoon in the deliciously scented yoghurt cream. Peel, then cube or slice the mangos and arrange on top. Scatter over the roasted pistachios. Sprinkle the edible flowers across the top.
The Queen sends sweet message to Prince Philip as he remains in hospital following infection
Her Majesty paid tribute to her husband...
By Georgia Farquharson •
Dress brand Finery London launches with Marks & Spencer - and their collection is perfect for spring
Dress brand Finery London has launched with Marks & Spencer so that you can shop their flattering line with ease
By Aleesha Badkar •
Claudia Winkleman reveals surprising secret to her happy marriage
The Strictly Come Dancing star has been married for twenty years...
By Georgia Farquharson •