By Jane Curran
Our roast pumpkin soup with toasted seeds is the perfect thing to warm you up on a cold day. The sweetness of maple syrup really enhances the flavour of the pumpkin in this delicious soup. Toasting the seeds of the pumpkin to serve with this roast pumpkin soup adds great crunch and an extra burst of flavour, and is an interesting alternative to croutons. If you can't get your hands on a whole pumpkin, this recipe works equally well with butternut squash.
HOW TO MAKE ROAST PUMPKIN SOUP WITH TOASTED SEEDS
- 2kg unpeeled weight pumpkin or butternut squash
- 3 red onions, cut into chunks
- 4 large tomatoes, quartered
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- sea salt
- 1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
- natural yogurt, to serve
For the toasted seeds
- 200g pumpkin seeds
- 1tbsp sea salt
- 1tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 large sprig rosemary, finely
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Peel and cut the pumpkin into chunks. Heat the oven to 200C. Divide the pumpkin, onions and tomatoes between 2 large roasting tins. Toss in the oil, maple syrup and a good sprinkling of sea salt. Roast for 45 mins or until the squash is slightly charred at the edges.
- Meanwhile, prepare the seeds. This will make more than you need but they make a delicious snack and will keep in a sealed container for up to 1 week. Just mix all the ingredients together then spread out on a baking tray. Roast in the oven for 20 mins then leave to cool.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large saucepan. Add the stock, bring to the boil and stir well. When it has cooled a little, blend to a purée. This makes a thick and hearty soup but just add more stock if you prefer a thinner version. Taste for seasoning. Ladle into bowls then top with a spoonful of yogurt, and some toasted seeds.
Le Creuset’s Unbreakable Enamelware Collection is perfect for ‘oops proof’ outdoor dining
Summertime is nearly here, which means picnics and BBQs galore!
By Rylee Johnston •
Experts claim Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's daughter will play this important role in the royal family
Do you agree?
By Danielle Valente •
Are Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck rekindling their romance? Here's what we know about the return of 'Bennifer'
Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck have been spotted spending a lot more time together since her split from Alex Rodriguez in April, which has sparked rumors of a potential rekindling
By Rylee Johnston •