- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 450g (1lb) king prawns, shelled (you want around 5 per person)
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- pinch sugar
- juice 1 large lime, plus extra wedges, to serve
- 1 Romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and cut into small chunks
- 1 mango, peeled, stoned and sliced
Heat the oil in a small, heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the prawns for 1 minute on each side or until lighlt browned; they don’t need to be cooked through at this stage. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Turn down the heat slightly, add the shallots to the pan and cook for 2 or 3 minutes before adding the garlic. Cook for another minute then add the paprika, fennel seeds, chilli, tomato purée, sugar and 2 tbsp water. Heat for 2 minutes, mixing until smooth. Return the prawns to the pan and coat well in the sauce. Remove from the heat and mix in the lime juice; season well and set aside to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, toss the prawns and any sauce with the lettuce, avocado and mango; add extra lime to taste.