By Jane Curran
Healthy, moreish pickled mushrooms and pickled vegetables are really popular at the moment and truffle is also very on trend. This light lunch is a perfect meeting of both with creamy slices of goat's cheese, too.
This dish takes a little bit of prep - but it's so worth it. Ensure that you leave the mushrooms in the cider vinegar the night before you want to make this dish to allow them to pickle fully.
If you make more pickled mushrooms than you need, they will keep in the fridge for up to a week, where they can be incorporated into quick lunches and snacks. They are a delicious antipasto to serve with cured meats, cheeses and grilled vegetables.
Here, the sharp pickled mushrooms are beautifully contrasted with the truffle honey, which adds a sweet and savoury note to the tangy goat’s cheese. Once you have pickled the mushrooms, the ingredients can be put together in minutes for a quick and easy lunch or starter. Cover a crisp slice of sourdough toast with slices of goat’s cheese and then top with the mushrooms and a good drizzle of truffle honey.
Where does truffle oil come from?
Truffle is a strong-smelling underground fungus, commonly found in France and considered a culinary delicacy. While some truffle oil does contain truffle itself, truffle oil is a controversial ingredient, as nearly all truffle oil is produced from one synthetic flavour compound.
HOW TO MAKE PICKLED MUSHROOMS AND GOAT'S CHEESE WITH TRUFFLE HONEY
- 250g soft goat's cheese, sliced
- 4 large slices sourdough bread, toasted
- truffle honey, to drizzle (from selected M&S stores and souschef.co.uk)
For the pickled mushrooms
- 300g button mushrooms
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2tsp black peppercorns
- 2tsp fennel seeds
- 1tbsp sea salt
- 75ml cider vinegar
- peel and juice of 1 lemon
- Halve the mushrooms then put into a saucepan with the remaining pickling ingredients and 75ml water. Bring to the boil then simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool, then put in a sealed container in the fridge overnight. They will keep for up to a week.
- To serve, simply slice the goat's cheese and put on the toast with the mushrooms and drizzle over the honey.
Meghan Markle's first marriage - who was her first husband and what is her ex-husband doing now?
As Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reveal they married in secret before fairytale £32m wedding we look at the Duchess' previous marriage
By Selina Maycock •
The Queen's response to grandson Harry and Meghan's interview will be 'careful and constructive'
Will Her Majesty react to any of the Sussexes’ revelations?
By Emma Shacklock •
The Tarte Shape Tape line just unveiled two new beauty products for under-eyes, and we're adding both to our carts ASAP
The Tarte Shape Tape Ultra Creamy concealer and Eye Cream provide much-needed hydration for under-eyes
By Dominique McIntee •