- 4 large mackerel, filleted
- 2 x 150g bags of watercress
- for the dressing
- 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium mango, peeled, stoned and cut into chunks
- juice 2 limes
- 1tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½tsp caster sugar
- 2 heaped tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 heaped tbsp chopped freshflat-leaf parsley
- 55g (2oz) butter, melted
Make crisscross slashes on the skin-side of the mackerel and chill.
For the sauce, heat 1tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the chilli and shallots for 2 minutes. Blend the mango in a liquidiser, add the lime juice and vinegar, and blend again until smooth.
Add sea salt, some freshly ground black pepper and the sugar. Switch the liquidiser speed to low, then gradually add the rest of the olive oil. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the shallots and chilli, coriander and parsley, then cover and leave for 1 hour.
Preheat the grill. Place the fish on the grill rack and brush with melted butter on both sides. Season well. Grill each side for 2 to 2½ minutes.
Arrange the watercress on four plates and top with the fish. Spoon over the dressing and serve.