- for the topping
- 15g (½oz) unsalted butter
- 50ml (2fl oz) golden syrup or honey
- 410g can peach halves in natural juice, drained and cut into thick slices
- for the cake
- 125g (4½oz) marzipan, roughly chopped
- 75ml (3fl oz) soured cream
- 125g (4½oz) unsalted butter
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 225g (8oz) plain flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder and pinch salt
- zest 1 lemon
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3tbsp warmed apricot jam, to glaze
- you will need
- 23cm (9in) round tin, greased
Heat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, 350F, gas 4. To make the topping, melt the butter with the golden syrup in a small pan over a medium heat, and stir until combined. Spread the peach slices evenly on the base of the prepared tin, then pour over the syrup mixture.
To make the cake, mix the marzipan with the soured cream in a food processor until smooth and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar until light, pale and creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs, mixing well after each addition. Now fold in the flour, baking powder and salt. Gently fold in the marzipan and cream mix, zest and vanilla.
Spoon the mix into the tin, being careful not to displace the peach slices, and level the top. Place the tin in the baking tray (to collect any leaking syrup). Bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before carefully turning out on to a serving plate. Gently brush over the glaze and serve.
Top Tip for making Peach and Marzipan Cake
Make sure that you slice the peach halves nice and thick or they will cook down too small!