By Rosie Conroy
Overnight oats are one of the easiest breakfast recipes there could be and you can prepare them in advance, making them perfect for busy mornings. We’ve chosen a selection of three topping options but the possibilities really are endless – you can use whatever you fancy from fresh and dried fruit to nuts, seeds and flavourings like cocoa or vanilla.
If you’re on a health kick these make for a really simple but healthy start to the day and you can hide lots of nutritious extras in them. We’ve gone for chia seeds to aid digestive health but if you prefer you could use other things like matcha powder for more beautiful skin or linseeds to help lower cholesterol.
For a speedy meal on the go you can pack your overnight oats into a screw or clip top jar, pop them in your bag and enjoy your breakfast when you get to work, after the gym or even following a morning walk.
HOW TO MAKE OVERNIGHT OATS
- 75g of oats
- 50 ml plain yogurt
- 100 ml milk
- 1tbs chia seeds
- 1tbs puréed soft fruit, like raspberries
- 1tsp cocoa powder
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- A small handful of fresh fruit
- Raw cocoa chips
- Shredded coconut
- Chia seeds
- Mix together the oats, chia seeds, milk and any flavourings you’ve chosen and pour half of the mixture into the bottom of a medium sized jar or bowl.
- Next add half of the yogurt and then a layer of any toppings you’re using.
- Add another layer by spooning over the rest of the yogurt and then the rest of the flavoured milk, oats and chia seeds.
- Finish with a layer of your chosen toppings. Coconut and chocolate, raspberries and mint or banana and honey are all favourites of ours.
- Leave overnight in the fridge to soak.
Virgin River is coming back for season 3, and it looks intense
Virgin River has been confirmed for a third season, here's what we can probably expect to see
By Rylee Johnston •
Why the Jennifer Lopez/ Ben Affleck kiss is a 2000-era reboot we're happy to see
Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck were spotted showing some steamy PDA, confirming their reunion
By Rylee Johnston •
Holly Willoughby's M&S dress is one of the most gorgeous summer frocks we've seen on the high street
Holly Willoughby in summery florals never fails to impress
By Caitlin Elliott •