Easter deserves something extra special. We’ve given our rib of beef a wholegrain mustard and pink peppercorn crust.
Beef rib is one of the tastiest cuts of meat. It’s quite high in fat but this gives a wonderful flavour, succulent texture and a beautiful marbled appearance. If you’re familiar with rib-eye steak, then this cut of meat is where that steak is taken from. It’s often called the chef’s favourite steak cut. Easter weekend is the perfect time to get family or friends round and catch-up over a feast. This beef rib recipe is the perfect centrepiece. Serve it with some seasonal vegetables such as Jersey royals, spring greens and green peas. There won’t be a disappointed guest in sight.
- Bring the beef to room temperature; rub the mustard all over the beef (but not the rib bones) and then scatter over the crushed peppercorns ensuring the beef is evenly covered. Wrap the bones in aluminium foil to prevent them from burning.
- Heat the oven to 220C/Gas 8. Place the shallots close together on the bottom of a roasting, put the rosemary and thyme sprigs on the shallots and then top with the rib of beef. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Roast the beef for 20 minutes, then reduce oven to 160C/Gas 2 and roast for a further 40mins – 1hr. This will give you a rare to medium-rare joint. If you have a meat thermometer, it should read 50-54C. Remove the beef from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest for at least 20 mins. Serve with a good beef gravy.
- 1.5-2kg rib of beef, trussed (ask your butcher to do this)
- 3tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2tbsp pink peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 16 shallots, peeled and left whole
- a few sprigs each rosemary and thyme
- Olive oil
Top Tip for making Mustard and pink peppercorn rib of beef
The mustard and pink peppercorn crust works equally well with other beef roasting joints
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks •
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks •
Friands with gooseberry and hazelnut
These friands with gooseberry and hazelnut make the most of the fruit's short season
By Samuel Goldsmith •
Pandora Black Friday 2021: Get up to 35% off now
Explore the best Pandora Black Friday deals highlighting gift sets, charms, and more for 2021
By Lizzie Thomson •
How Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will celebrate their first Thanksgiving with Lilibet
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have revealed how they will spend their daughter Lilibet's first Thanksgiving along with their son Archie
By Laura Harman •
Save 25% in Kiehl's Black Friday skincare sale on the hero product our beauty editor raves about at parties
If you buy one Black Friday skincare deal, make it Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream
By Fiona McKim •