Shepherds’ pie is such a classic dish and this mince recipe is a great way to fill up the family during the week or would even make a great dinner party recipe too as individual mini pies look and taste fantastic. Try them this week and you’ll have a new go to recipe.
HOW TO MAKE MINI SHEPHERD'S PIES WITH SWEET POTATO MASH
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion and carrot for 10 minutes until soft. Stir through the lamb and cook for a further 10 minutes until browned.
- Season well and stir through ½ the thyme, the flour, the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and the stock. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to a simmer and leave for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/400F/Gas 6. Meanwhile place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain, return to the pan and mash with the butter and remaining thyme until fluffy and smooth.
- Stir the peas through the mince mixture and spoon into 6 individual oven-proof dishes and spoon over the mash. Sprinkle each with some cheese then bake for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 500g (1lb 2oz) lean lamb mince
- 4 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 250ml (9fl oz) hot lamb stock
- 200g (7oz) peas, defrosted
- 500g (1lb 2oz) sweet potatoes, peeled & roughly chopped
- 500g (1lb 2oz) desiree potatoes, peeled & roughly chopped
- 50g (2oz) salted butter
- 50g (2oz) mature cheddar
Top Tip for making Mini Shepherd's Pies with Sweet Potato Mash
Experiment with you mash by swaping the sweet potato for carrot or swede.
Time for a purchase: Lady Gaga's makeup artist made a cosmetic storage collection that's practical and adorable
We have our eyes on the brush holders
By Danielle Valente •
Viola Davis' beauty routine is the perfect form of self-care
Viola Davis shared her beauty secrets and how she used it as a form of self-care
By Rylee Johnston •
An update on the release date of the Princess Diana BBC interview doc has been announced, but it's not what you're hoping for
Netflix is postponing its release
By Danielle Valente •