For a lamb recipe that’s a bit different to the norm, why not give this beautiful Middle Eastern inspired dish a whirl this week? With coriander, paprika and a whole host of other spices to liven up this dish, it’s full of flavour and a lovely sweetness thanks to the addition of pitted dates.
This slow cooker recipe serves six, so it’s a great warming meal to feed a crowd.
HOW TO MAKE MIDDLE EASTERN SPICED LAMB
- You'll need a large, lidded heatproof casserole dish for this. Heat the olive oil then cook the onion until softened. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Toss the lamb in the seasoned flour then brown in the same pan on all sides in batches - you may need to add a little more oil. Return all the lamb, any leftover flour and the onion to the pan, and add all the spices. Mix it all together well, cook for a few minutes, season with salt and pepper then add the tomatoes and their juice, 250ml (9fl oz) cold water and the dates.
- Bring to the boil then cover and simmer very gently for 2 hours 30 minutes. The sauce will have thickened and the lamb will be meltingly tender. Check for seasoning. Serve with couscous or brown rice, and scatter over the almonds and coriander.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 900g (2lb) neck of lamb, cut into chunks
- 2tbsp seasoned flour
- 1tbsp ground coriander
- ½tbsp paprika
- ½tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1tbsp ground cumin
- 1 x 400g can plum tomatoes
- 150g (5oz) pitted dates
- 3tbsp toasted flaked almonds and 3tbsp chopped fresh coriander, to serve
Top Tip for making Middle Eastern Spiced Lamb
If using a slowcooker, either follow step 1 then add the remaining ingredients, or add everything to the slowcooker in one step. Reducing the tomatoes and water by a third, cover with the lid and cook on a low setting for 8-10 hours.
Meghan Markle has decided not to have a baby shower for this reason
No lavish celebrations this time around
By Danielle Valente •
Alex Rodriguez speaks out for the first time since J.Lo and Ben Affleck reunion
News of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck has spread, and now Alex Rodriguez is finally saying something
By Rylee Johnston •
Celebrity-favorite brand Rag & Bone is having a huge secret sale right now
Saks Off 5th is having a secret sale on Rag & Bone, a celebrity-favorite of Katie Holmes, Jennifer Anniston, and Jennifer Garner
By Rylee Johnston •