By Jane Curran published
If you’re entertaining this week, why not try this delicious modern take on a classic duck a l’orange recipe? It’s the perfect dinner party recipe as it feels rich and indulgent but is actually rather quick to make and doesn’t require too much effort. Serve the dish up with peas and carrots along with the new potatoes for a hearty dinner that will leave everyone feeling satisfied.
HOW TO MAKE MAPLE AND ORANGE-GLAZED DUCK WITH MINI SAUTÉ POTATOES
- Heat the oven to 180C, gas 4. In a small jug, mix the orange juice and zest, balsamic glaze, mustard and maple syrup until smooth. Place the duck legs on a wire rack in a roasting tin and brush with the orange glaze; cook for 10 minutes before adding the duck breasts. Brush all the duck pieces with the glaze and cook for a further 20 minutes, glazing again after 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the potatoes to the boil in a pan of cold salted water. Cook for 8 minutes, drain and set aside to steam dry.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat, add the potatoes and cook until browned on both sides. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for another minute, season and mix well. Serve with the duck with steamed baby carrots and peas.
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 duck breasts
- 4 duck legs
- 500g miniature new potatoes, halved
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- baby carrots and peas, to serve
Top Tip for making Maple and Orange-Glazed Duck with Mini Sauté Potatoes
This is a tather generous serving but it does depend on the size of the duck. You could serve one large duck breast per person instead
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
The royal family's link to eclipses—astrological events connected to royal births, drama, and tragedies
The royal family's link to eclipses includes the births of Prince Charles, William, and Kate as well as the tragedies that befell Princess Diana
By Stephanie Campos-Powell • Published
Fans react to Lisa Bonet and Jason Momoa's marriage breakdown and they're actually cheering us up
After over a decade together, Jason Momoa and Lisa Bonet released a joint statement announcing their separation
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
This viral TikTok blow dry hack achieves the Dyson Airwrap look in five minutes
This TikTok blow dry trick is the dream shortcut to flicky hair
By Caitlin Elliott • Published